Saturday 1 June 2013

EBC Part 8, Kala Patthar-Dzongla-Cho La.

Monday 13th May 2013.

After the previous nights restlessness I wanted to get moving as soon as possible and I made the mistake of not having breakfast for the first time on this trip. James (UK) and I set off back towards Lobuche but knowing this time that we didn't have have to stay there. James and Christian had left straight after our Kala Patthar summit the day before. Towards the end of the Khumbu Glacier and with Cholatse and Taboche in the distance we will take the path that can be seen running from left to right. At this point I'm feeling good and start babbling to James that maybe we should attempt the Cho La today as well. James tells me in no uncertain terms that it's a full day trek, not an afternoon stroll. I know this but am probably still riding yesterdays high. By the time we get to Dzongla in another two hours time my wild optimism has been quite rightly dampened and I'm happy to just loll around the dining room of the lodge. 


In the distance, some porters and their yaks.




On the corner of Tsholo, a hour from Dzongla.





Dzongla (4830M) with Arakam Tse (6423M) behind.


We meet up with James and Christian again for the afternoon. They have met their guide now and are sorting out details for the start of their ascent of Lobuche (6120M) the next day. 

Tuesday 14th May 2013.

None of the snow from the previous afternoon had settled and it's another fine morning as we slowly ascend out of this remotest of places. 


Across this plain to the pass at the end......


At the back wall there is this steep but easy scramble that runs diagonally up rightwards.


At Cho La looking back to Dzongla.



There is a glacier section to cross accessed from the left. The path across was only just visible.


We caught sight of James Christian and their guide at the start of their climb. I was rather jealous and if someone had offered me some crampons at this point I would have joined them!


From left to right: James (UK), James and Christian and above them on the skyline their guide fixing ropes.


Bacon rock.


Our view down the western side of the Cho La.


Looking back up to James. This was a very loose scree face, the path down not always visible. This is one of the reasons we have done the 'Three Passes' the way we have, this being an easier descent than ascent. And all three passes have suited me better with a generally steeper section to start and an easier and less steep finish. 



Looking back to the Cho La.


The valley looking down to Dragnag. We stopped and rested awhile there but I made the mistake of not eating and I suffered while crossing the glacier later on.


After Dragnag the path will take you up the moraine wall to the longest glacier in the Himalayas. The Ngozumpa is 36 KM long and runs down from Cho Oyu (8201M) the sixth highest mountain in the world. This whole area is vast. Rarely have I ever been somewhere where I could look so far left and right. 



And I'm sure I groaned aloud as I looked straight ahead. I was feeling tired already today and not eating earlier was now affecting me. Luckily there is a good path across. Due to the immense weight of the Ngozumpa it is very slow moving which means the trails across are well established.


I was very glad when I finally saw Gokyo. Any town would have done. But this place was exceptionally beautiful as I hope the next blog will show, but now it was time for lemon tea and Tibetan bread and jam!!



No comments:

Post a Comment