Tuesday 28 May 2013

EBC Part 5, Tengboche-Chhukhung.

Tuesday 7th May 2013.

We leave the lodge for the last time as a five strong group today, with views of Tengboche behind us and Ama Dablam in front.



The valley of the Imja Khola river starts to widen and flatten out.


James and I (right) were carrying on to Dingboche whilst Craig and Jordan were going to Pheriche. When I first started I was just going to head for the EBC but James's talk of the 'Three passes' had won me over and this is the reason we needed to change direction. The Three passes makes a big circuit of the area starting and finishing in Namche.



The closer we got to Ama Dablam the more she pulled the clouds around her, only occasionally peeking through.....


After lunch and a nap James and I walk up behind Dingboche to gain 220M and try to see through the low clouds.



Wednesday 8th May 2013.

A late start after a restless night for me. I seem to recall having similarly crazy dreams at height in the French Alps. Today is the first day I feel like I need to put on long trousers and a long sleeved top for walking. It only takes us one and a half hours to get to Chhukhung. This may not seem like a long walking day but at these heights (4730m) things must be taken slowly. 


Ama Dablam feels so close.....


Thursday 9th May 2013.

In the busy lodge from the night before we end up talking to (another) James and Christian from Australia and Ralph (Canadian) and they both want to go up Chhukhung Ri (5550m) the next day. We leave in the semi darkness at 6am for a slow plod.


We top out at 9.20 for amazing cloudless views.....this is why you get up early!! Below, way off in the distance is Makalu (8485m).


Right in front of us was Lhotse (8516m) with a continual plume of cloud and spindrift coming from her top.



Tomorrow we would be somewhere in that valley behind me.


A sea of cairns......


After descending a hearty breakfast was devoured and after a rest I had a wander. Island Peak? I was tempted I must admit. Maybe another time.....


No comments:

Post a Comment